I was just talking to my Grandmomma Bentley on the phone. She reminded me of Easter Sunday. She had spent the afternoon at my parents eating, visiting, and watching all the kids hunt Easter eggs. She spent a lot of time talking with Mrs. Jewel Farr.
Mrs. Jewel is my Uncle Tommy's mother and they are related to us by marraige from my Mom's side of the family. Ironically, Uncle Tommy and my Daddy have been best friends since they were about 12 years old or maybe even younger. So needless to say, Grandmomma and Mrs. Jewel have seen many years together as friends. Mrs. Jewel is one of those sweet spirits that you just love when you meet. She always has words of wisdom and knows how to make you feel special.
This day I sat, listening, while the two of them were talking. Talking of how they feel in love with there husbands and how they both had to live through the pain of losing their husbands. Talking about World War II and how as women they, too, had to be strong and brave. Just looking in their eyes I could see this past that I would never in a million years be able to know or truely comprehend.
These two woman are strong, loving, compassionate souls that I strive to one day be like. When I am around them I long for their stories and I long to gain the wisdom that they both have. I also hope that in time my children and my grandchildren will look in my eyes the same way that I look into theirs and I hope that they learn just as much as I do about how to live a wonderful, fullfilled life.
At the end of the day, Grandmomma gets in my little car, like she does every time I am home.
On the ride home I look at her and say
"Grandmomma, did you have fun?" and she looks back and me and says "Oh, so much fun, Jeanna!"
I say "I am glad you got to spend time with Mrs. Jewel".
She turns to me and says these words that I will never forget,
"I feel in love with her the first time I met her."
After I dropped her off at her little retirement home, those words just stuck in my head. I just thought to myself how true that one little statement was. Those two women were in love. They have been through so much in a life time and really a long life time at that. They talked and acted as if they had been in love for years. Admiring each other as they both told there stories and almost finishing each others sentences.
How true is it that we fall in love with so many different people in our life time?
One thing I know for sure is that I fell in love with both of these women a long time ago and I will always be in love with them for as long as I shall live!

2 comments:
tears. at my desk.
just reading this again, and love it.
Post a Comment