Novemeber 8, 1931 - January 2, 2010
This past week I traveled back to Georgia. It wasn't a visit that I was looking forward to. It actually wasn't a visit that I wanted to do at all. My Grandfather passed away Saturday, January 2, 2010 at about 5:30p.m. I received the phone call from my Dad while I was at work. Granddaddy had been in the hospital for 35 long days. He was in pain and last Saturday, he decided to leave us and go to a much more wonderful place. I don't blame him.
I am just sad. Sad that he won't be with us anymore. Sad that when I call their home, he won't answer "Hey Bean". Sad that when I walk in their house without ringing the doorbell that he won't be in his blue recliner waiting for a big hug. Sad that we won't get to go to New Smyrna Beach, FL one last time (his favorite place). Sad that I won't get to hear him tell me how pretty I have become every single time I saw him. Sad that he won't see me marry. Sad.
Man, this is tough.
I walked into thier home on Sunday to find my whole family thumbing through picture books that my Grandmother had made. There was laughter and there were tears. Sitting with my Grandmother we looked at pictures of Grandaddy when they were young. I noticed that my Granddaddy has had that same grin most of his life. He will light up a room with just his smile. And that is the way I will remember him the rest of my life. Because even when he was in pain and in ICU, when I would walk in the room while he was resting, all I would have to say is "Hey Grandaddy" and he would open his eyes, look at me and SMILE that SAME smile.
And as far as memories go, we have so many with him. He was always good at being wherever we were. Going wherever we went (or moved). And I will cherish those in my heart and pass them along the rest of my life. His love for my Grandmother was an inspiration. His love for his children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren was amazing. And his love for his friends was never ending.
I have always thought that I was his favorite but this past week made me realize something. I may have been one of his favorites but everyone was his favorite.
He loved us all so equally that we all believed the very same thing.
He is will be missed by everyone and will always
be remember for his SWEET SWEET SPIRIT!
What a GREAT MAN!
Watch our memories with Granddaddy here.


1 comment:
love it sister. really beautiful.
Post a Comment