November 11, 2008
Veterans Day
You will never know how extremely proud I am of these three men that have been a significant part in my life. Their patriotism and bravery to serve our country will always hold a special part in not only my heart but I know in my brothers and sister's hearts. On this past Sunday I went to church and during the service they had the choir sing every battle song for each branch of the United States milatary. As each branch's battle song was sung, the men who served would stand to their song. As each man stood, I got goose bumps. I got goose bumps because when I looked at those men that stood up so proudly, some were singing those glorious words to their chant, and some were soluting their flag, but they were standing tall. Tall and proud that they served their country. It only reminded me of my Daddy. All of his stories that he has told about the Army came rushing to me. And seeing my Daddy all those years in church, stand tall when they asked for all men to stand that had served our wonderful country. So Sunday, they said that they would like to honor all of the families and children of the men and women that had served our country, and I, I stood tall, I stood up like my Daddy would do and I stood in Honor of my Grandaddy Bentley and in respect to my Grandaddy Kilgore.
My Daddy joined the United States Army in 1967. He was in the 618th Heavy Equipment Division of the 1st Logistical Command. He went to Vietnam in June of 1968 and stayed through June of 1969. He then went to West Berlin in 1969 and was there until 1970. He was in the Berlin Bergade in the 4th Batallion of the 18th Infantry.
You will never know how extremely proud I am of these three men that have been a significant part in my life. Their patriotism and bravery to serve our country will always hold a special part in not only my heart but I know in my brothers and sister's hearts. On this past Sunday I went to church and during the service they had the choir sing every battle song for each branch of the United States milatary. As each branch's battle song was sung, the men who served would stand to their song. As each man stood, I got goose bumps. I got goose bumps because when I looked at those men that stood up so proudly, some were singing those glorious words to their chant, and some were soluting their flag, but they were standing tall. Tall and proud that they served their country. It only reminded me of my Daddy. All of his stories that he has told about the Army came rushing to me. And seeing my Daddy all those years in church, stand tall when they asked for all men to stand that had served our wonderful country. So Sunday, they said that they would like to honor all of the families and children of the men and women that had served our country, and I, I stood tall, I stood up like my Daddy would do and I stood in Honor of my Grandaddy Bentley and in respect to my Grandaddy Kilgore.
My Daddy joined the United States Army in 1967. He was in the 618th Heavy Equipment Division of the 1st Logistical Command. He went to Vietnam in June of 1968 and stayed through June of 1969. He then went to West Berlin in 1969 and was there until 1970. He was in the Berlin Bergade in the 4th Batallion of the 18th Infantry.
My Grandaddy Bentley was in World War II, he served three years with the 81st Army Wildcat Division and was awarded two Purple Hearts and the Bronze star for heroic action in the South Pacific Peliliu Campaign. He received the Combat Medical Badge for long hours under fire in that campaign. He was one of the first medics to recieved this Medical Badge.
My Grandaddy Kilgore was also a member of the United States Army. He spent most of his time in the states and was stationed in South Carolina during the Korean Conflict.
I would also like to honor my cousin, Shef Ford. He is currently overseas fighting for our country. We keep him in our thoughts and prayers everyday!
Capt. Sheffield Ford enlisted in the Army in 1989. After a tour in Germany, hevolunteered for Special Forces and was assigned to 1 stSpecial Forces Group (Airborne) in 1993 as a SpecialForces engineer. Ford attended Officer Candidate Schooland received his commission as an infantry officer in 1999.He graduated from Columbus State University in 2001 witha Bachelor of Science in Political Science. He was assignedto the 1 st Battalion, 15 th Infantry Regiment, 3 rd InfantryDivision where he served as a mechanized infantry platoonleader. Ford attended the Special Forces OfficerQualification Course and was assigned to OperationalDetachment Alpha 765, 7th Special Forces Group(Airborne) in 2005.
Capt. Sheffield Ford enlisted in the Army in 1989. After a tour in Germany, hevolunteered for Special Forces and was assigned to 1 stSpecial Forces Group (Airborne) in 1993 as a SpecialForces engineer. Ford attended Officer Candidate Schooland received his commission as an infantry officer in 1999.He graduated from Columbus State University in 2001 witha Bachelor of Science in Political Science. He was assignedto the 1 st Battalion, 15 th Infantry Regiment, 3 rd InfantryDivision where he served as a mechanized infantry platoonleader. Ford attended the Special Forces OfficerQualification Course and was assigned to OperationalDetachment Alpha 765, 7th Special Forces Group(Airborne) in 2005.
You can see why I am so proud.
I am also very proud of all the men and women that are serving our Country today. Their courage and sacrafice is beyond my knowledge and I extend my greatest thanks to those guys! And I must say......
I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!
I am also very proud of all the men and women that are serving our Country today. Their courage and sacrafice is beyond my knowledge and I extend my greatest thanks to those guys! And I must say......
I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!
*A chant my daddy would sing to us when we were little and we would sing or scream each line after him.*
"In her hair she wore a yellow ribbon,
she wore it for her soldier boy who's far far away.
Far away!
Far away!
She wore it for her soldier boy who's far far away!"
"In her hair she wore a yellow ribbon,
she wore it for her soldier boy who's far far away.
Far away!
Far away!
She wore it for her soldier boy who's far far away!"

1 comment:
awesome bean
Post a Comment